Monday 7 January 2013

Reread complete! For now...

This blog was possible because I had previously read the entirety of The Wheel of Time and could use my foreknowledge when I examined the writing techniques employed. Since I have not read A Memory of Light even once, the blog will go on hiatus for a few months while I let the final book percolate in my mind before filling in the posts on the last book.
However, I’ll have one more post before I take a break, which is a lengthy set of predictions for A Memory of Light based on the work posted here.
In the meantime, I offer a quick review of my objectives with this blog project, and some advice to writers.
First, I wanted to reread The Wheel of Time, and I did, enjoying it thoroughly yet again, and it only took me twelve months, twice as long as expected yet comfortably within the allotted time, with almost 24 hours to spare before I acquire my copy of A Memory of Light.
Second, I wanted to learn from Robert Jordan’s writing, and I did, leaving myself some 200 Writing Lessons, which I will consolidate at some not too distant date, for both my use and yours.
Third, I wanted to establish writing habits. The 50 page review format gave enough material to fill 700-1100 words per post, and I was able to post slightly more than every 2nd night over an entire year. A handful of posts took 3 hours to write, the quickest were 800 words per hour. Aiming to write every day is critical. Most of my writing was before 6 a.m. or after 10 p.m., often up until 2 to 3 a.m. In total I wrote approximately 200 000 words, a nice chunk of a typical Wheel of Time novel. Without having to do the reading, study, and analysis, I feel confident project Woolly Coelodont can proceed at a decent pace as I attempt to write a full novel of my own this spring.
Fourth, I wanted a last chance to theorize about the final book of the series. That post should be up tomorrow.
Lastly, I created a permanent tool for fans of Robert Jordan’s work, and for budding writers like myself. Creating something unique is rewarding. I hope you will find what I made here fun and useful.
Thanks to Tamyrlin at Theoryland for a plug or two and driving some traffic to the blog. I decided that the tool would be most rewarding and useful for readers if it was scholarly, had no ads, and aimed to be direct and to the point, focusing on theme and writing over plot, influences and humour. I apologize if it’s dry by times, but that was an intentional attempt to fill a new niche.
Let me know what you thought!
Writing Lessons:
Set realistic daily writing goals. Accomplish them.

2 comments:

  1. This blog has helped me a lot in trying to make my writing deeper. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SkareKrow, that is exactly what I hoped to hear! Thank you for taking the time to read it, and I am glad you have found some value in it, I know I have.

      Delete