Friday 27 January 2012

The Eye of the World - Summary

First, a quick thanks to all who are reading this blog! The daily pace is grueling, but I swear I am still good for 6-7 posts a week.
I am writing it for several reasons:
- I want to reread the entire Wheel of Time before A Memory of Light comes out.
- I am an aspiring writer, and want to dissect the writing of one of my favorite authors to learn whatever I can.
- I want to ingrain habits that make me sit at the keyboard and write every day.
- I want to create, review, and reject many of the theories I’ve discussed with other fans over the last decade.
I hope it also serves your needs, whatever they may be. Feel free to comment, disagree, say ‘me too’, take the discussion to other forums, whatever.

A very brief summary of The Eye of the World:
The Eye of the World is a highly entertaining adventure story. The bits with channeling the One Power and the clues dropped that come into play several books later can all be happily ignored in favour of the immediate adventure. The thematic story consists largely of learning how you stand up to an evil that seems greater than you are. The answer is by finding your roots, sticking to your ideals, and overcoming doubt through sheer determination, perseverance and force of will. I can’t think of a much more human or more universal message than that.
I first read the Eye of the World in 1991, in college. The theme resonated with me, and I’ve often overcome obstacles in life by drawing inspiration from favorite characters such as Rand or Egwene.
In the Eye of the World, perhaps the most pivotal element of the novel is found in the story of the fall of Manetheren. Moiraine tells this story to disperse an angry mob. The story reveals the character of the Two Rivers Folk, but also serves as their inspiration through the trails they face. When things get hard, they march on like the armies striving to get back to Manetheren. The compassion they feel for each other stems from the blood price paid long ago by Manetheren. The reassurance that their steadfastness will be rewarded with freedom from the Shadow comes from learning how that was the origin of their own people and village. Lan is a child of Manetheren too, his own home of Malkier having succumbed in much the same way. Shienar seems poised for an equally devastating fall, and the flight of its people mirrors the Fall of Manetheren. To overcome doubt, to control the Power he wields, to confront evil, Rand finds resolve in the unyielding pitiless stone of Manetheren. Like the men and women of Manetheren, they do what they must then pay the price. So should we.
Tai’shar Manetheren!
I’ve abbreviated my summary descriptions for each 50 page block, and listed them below as a means of looking at the structure of the novel. These descriptions were done blindly, on the fly, so they could have been described otherwise, but I’ll work with what I’ve got. You can get a sense of the pacing of the book, the slow spots and tense spots, and exciting spots, and boring spots, even from such a short and undetailed overview. I look forward to seeing how closely it matches the structure of the series as a whole.
-The setting is established, the characters are well introduced, the idea of the set of mysterious strangers with unknown motives is placed, now the adventure can begin.
-The threat to the characters is revealed.
-The heroes act on the information they have.
-The heroes get their first chance to interact with the outside world.
-The heroes learn about the evil in the idea of the end justifying the means.
-For the first time, we get new points of view.
-The heroes begin to make their separate ways, gaining and losing allies
-The Heroes evade capture or death by keeping a low profile.
-The heroes evade enemies galore as they flee.
-The heroes score some victories, and things are finally looking up!
-The quest is tossed aside in favour of a new quest.
-Revelations, and a slight pause before the final battle!
-Enemies more powerful and numerous than any seen before are faced and defeated.

Writing Lessons:
Examine the structure of your novel, either in the planning, or after the 1st draft. When you have writer’s block, draw on Tai’shar Manetheren!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on finishing Eye of the World! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete